Wednesday, July 20, 2005

July 19th was my birthday. I told everyone I was 21, I think only about 30% believed me.

This was a good birthday, if such a thing exists after you leave high school. This were "happy birthday's" from people from the start of the day. Which was nice.

People who know me have heard me say too many times that the first time I set foot in Oxford in 1984 I was sure this is what heaven would have to be. Colleges, used bookstores, student pubs and the Bodleian Library. What more could a person want?

Today I got to take a tour of the Library and I was right, it is a part of heaven. The first University Library was founded in 1320, and the Bodleian started in 1699. It was formally opened for use in 1602. Sir Thomas Bodleian, founder, had three rules. It was open to anyone, not just students or faculty, for research. There was not flame allowed anywhere in the Library, which meant no one could read after dark until 1928 when electric lighting was installed. And not book could be checked out. Which means that if you want to read it you do it there. In 1648 King Charles I was refused a loan. Not a poplar move, because at his death his personal Library went to Cambridge.

It now houses over 7,000,000 million books, 1,300,000 maps and 114 miles of occupied shelving. The original buildings are still in use, and are beautifully preserved.

I got back to Christ Church in time for dinner. I was seated at the high table tonight. Think of the table where Dumbledore sits at Hogwarts, that’s the table. Everybody is part of the high table seating one time during his or her stay, and mine just happened to be on my birthday. Which not only was announced, but the entire student body serenaded me. I accepted gracefully, as is my wont.

The evening ended with a chamber music concert at the Holywell Music Room. This was the first building build in Europe for the purpose of performing music. Both Mozart and Hayden performed there, and the acoustics are just about perfect.

Listing to a Mozart string quartet then one by Schubert under that roof, with that history was a good ending to a good birthday.

5 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kenn. Lisa made a cake in your honor and Abigail blew out the candles for you :-) She then proceded to get cake all over herself.

Hope all is well

Steve

 
At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog. I check in every morning to vicariously be at your side on the journey of self-enrichment through history, art and creativity.

Happy birthday, Kenn! It sounds like the best one so far. I know you haven't been 21 for quite a long time but don't actually know your real age. If you convinced 30% you were 21 then 70% believe you are either younger or older. Assuming a median of 21 and believing you are actually older rather than younger then 35% of the unbelievers are correct thus: 0.35 * 21 = 7.35, added to 21 is 28.35; a closer guess in my mind.

So blurry logic tells us you are neither 21, nor is your birthday July 19. You lied about that too since you're apparently 28.35 years old. July 19 is the 200th day of the year thus: you were 28.00 years old during the 197th day of the year or July 14. Just think how many more great birthdays await you.

Oh - I forgot about the leap years... You see, this is what happens when one unwisely mixes empiricism with art and creativity. Have a great journey and keep blogging!

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday my friend! Remember, Butterflies only live 3 weeks... how lucky we are!

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger OKDad said...

Find H.G. Well's home in London. Go to his basement and uncover the Time Machine in the south east corner.
It's under a blue tarp with the letters "TM" on it.

Turn it on, step into it, and go back to relive this birthday.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Happy birthday my old mac TS friend.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Kenn said...

Thanks, all...it has been good

 

Post a Comment

<< Home