Tuesday, August 09, 2005

If it’s Tuesday it must be Belgium

I’m in Brussels and I have to say that one thing it has done for me is given me ammunition for people who claim that I want to be where ever I’m not. I don’t want to live in Brussels. I’m in the downtown area, which I suppose is where I go in each city. But, downtown Brussels is a lot like any other big city with all the problems that big cities have. Traffic that is killer, homeless, and more tourist than you would ever want to see.

There is one thing that interesting. You here more languages spoken than you would like to believe exist. The worst part about that is that everybody, except American and British, seem to speak more than one. It’s quite disarming. Today on the sightseeing bus I found different families speaking Italian, Flemish, German and Japanese yet when the occasion came up all of them switched to English. Some were a bit hard to understand, some were more fluent than I, but the most were right there in the middle. All I could do is sit and listen in wonder. Boy, have we let that get away from us.

There are several nice sights, as you will see from the uploads, but all in all, I don’t think I’ll be moving here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home