Saturday, November 26, 2005

What would you do?

Okay, here is the problem.

You may have to go back and read the pervious posting to understand what I am dealing with today. This is becoming a major philosophical dilemma.

Looking only at the scene that was written by the people who had invited us to the evening concert I can see several interesting things. First, this was the only new material on display, as all of the other offerings were from contemporary operas performed many times in many places.

The scene as shown Friday night was really good and I can see a lot of possibilities. The music is accessible and the lyrics are clear. As I said last time the young voices are doing a good job of showing what is right and what is wrong with the piece. This is what an artist wants in a staged concert piece. From this, the collaborators will take away what they should work on, what is the strength and what is the weakest.

Now here is my problem. I have seen what I think is a major opportunity to make this piece better. It will require some changes, and perhaps additions, in part of the work. I am not a songwriter but I am a good storyteller, and I can see something that needs to be altered to make a better story. Mostly it is a style change at a certain place in the piece, which will require a musical rewrite.

I don’t really know the people who created this piece. I met them that evening, and even though I have spent another night with the composer at a party, they don’t really know me from Adam. So the question is; do I say anything, or do I just keep my mouth shut, nod and move on?

This is a hard one. On one hand why should they listen or care about what an almost total stranger has to say. But on the other hand, I know I am right and what I know could really make this piece better. What do I do?

What would you do?

2 Comments:

At 1:47 AM, Blogger OKDad said...

Send an email to them with a link to your blog. Or give me their email address and I will send them a link to your blog...as a casual, but interested observer.

Then, the balls in their court whether or not they want to pursue your changes.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Kenn said...

Good idea...I did mention the blog at the last party, and mentioned that I had an evening with the opera posted. The composer did take the address, so we'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home